Towns in the Cotswold region
Coughton Court was built in 1530 by the Throckmorton family and successive generations of the family have lived there for six centuries ever since. A medieval house was present on the site in 1409 and the current estate sits in grounds of 25 acres. The Throckmorton family and consequently Coughton Court has strong associations with the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.
The Throckmorton Family have been Roman Catholic since before the Reformation and a new Catholic church was built in 1855 in the grounds.
The Gardens of Coughton Court were planted in 1991 and have reached maturity. They include a courtyard which has been specifically planted to mirror and complement the Tudor architecture of the tower.
The grounds also include the ‘Sunken Gardens’ which have been designed to have two distinct planting schemes. The different coloured plants produce ‘The Silver Sunken Garden’ and ‘The Golden Sunken Garden.’ There is also a Rose labyrinth.
Similar Cotswold Attractions: Badminton Horse Trials, Berkeley Castle, Blenheim Palace, Broadway Tower, Broughton Castle, Cheltenham Gold Cup, Cotswold Olympic Games, Cotswold Wildlife Park, Golf Courses, Great Chalfield Manor, Hidcote Manor, Highgrove, Kelmscott Manor, Oxford Botanic Gardens, Snowshill Manor, The Cotswold Falconry Centre
Be first to get our best deals by email.
Looking for the perfect gift? Gift vouchers are available in any value from £25 upwards.