Towns in the Cotswold region
Hailes Abbey History
Hailes Abbey was built in 1246 and dissolved on Christmas Eve 1539. During the Middle Ages it was a place of pilgrimage and the dedication ceremony of 1251 was reportedly attended by thirteen bishops, the King and the Queen.
Despite its large size, the Abbey was never occupied by more than 25 monks. Until 1687, there were permanent residents but since then the Abbey has fallen into the ruin which remains today.
Located on the western fringe of the Cotswolds, it is now owned and maintained by English Heritage. There is a small museum detailing the history of the Abbey.
Be first to get our best deals by email.
Looking for the perfect gift? Gift vouchers are available in any value from £25 upwards.